Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tin can, canned ham Glamper

Over the last 6-8 months I have been secretly obsessed with vintage travel trailers. Everything from the Shasta's to the Airstream. I love the look and function. I also, loved the idea of having a functional, office, trailer for going to shows, all in one little tiny campable space.

So, I have been on the hunt for one of these "canned hams" as they are so lovingly referred to because of their shape. I looked everywhere for research and sellers of these mid century trailers. I knew I wanted something small and a trailer I could refurbish not a total restoration.

My summer wish came true when I woke up from an afternoon nap and decided to check craigslist. That is where I saw her. I called immediately, only to be told that someone was on the way and the seller had 30 other people who called or emailed before me.

I didn't give up. I proceeded to charm talk my way into coming to see it next. Telling the seller not to take a penny less than what it was advertised for. It was a good deal if everything checked out, I was getting it! So, the guy that was on his way to look at it tried to low ball the seller and so the seller called me to come take a look.

I am so happy I did, I bought it and she came home with me to become my new summer project! Here she is my 1952 Little Gem. She doesn't look like much now but wait till I am done with her! She is solid thanks to a partial restoration done by the previous owner with upgraded electrical and more. I can't wait to get started and share this fun summer project right here in blogland!

 

5 comments:

  1. It's awesome! I'm so excited for you that that is the best word I can think of. AWESOME!
    I've wanted one for a while too, so I will be living vicariously through you. Congrats, it's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I don't know the first thing about camping but I sure am going to figure it out.

      Delete
  2. Oh how fun! I've always wanted a little turquoise and white "Scotty" trailer, but alas I'm building a room instead... :/ I can't wait to see what you do with it, I love it's from 1952 also! Pack up and come see us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tempt me. I have on several evenings while reading your blog, turned to my partner and said why can't we have friends that throw cool party's like Mick! Lol

      Delete
  3. Oh man. If only I had the space to store one I would totally do that. I will have to live through you this summer.

    ReplyDelete