Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pinterest should come with a warning label!

I love scrolling through Pinterest looking for inspiration and ideas. It's great! However, I think it should come with the following warning. Warning: Use caution when attempting to take on any project or implement any idea seen here. Pinterest in no way warrants the actions of the non-crafty or those individuals that lack very basic common diy knowledge or sense. You should not expect to be likened to Martha Stewart, Rachel Ray or Annie Leibovitz by using any ideas found throughout our site!!!!

I guess I should explain the need for the warning label. I have experienced many failed Pinterest ideas of others from Christmas photo card ideas to food. It's really what comes in between that is scary. Like making glasses from old wine bottles. Is that really necessary? But it was my latest encounter that really prompted this rant.

I have bought and sold many Kitchen Aid Stand mixers and done fairly well over the last few years. So, when I come across one that is in working condition for a good price I buy it, clean it up and/or paint it. I came across an ad recently for one that was fairly cheap and was a pretty blue.

I couldn't contact the seller fast enough. We met up so I could collect my mixer the same day. I was excited until I saw the mixer. It looked like someone had taken blue house paint and painted the thing! Why!? It had the texture of a failed paper mâché project.

At first I said to the seller I couldn't take it. The pictures did not show or say it had been painted. I asked who did this? The seller replied that a friend of hers (yeah sure a friend) had saw an idea or Pinterest and tried it. She assured me that it still worked great. I told her that if she or her friend thought about doing it again they should properly prep and sand their project. Advice was also given about the proper paint to use. Which I'm sure the seller was very appreciative of and took very good mental notes. lol

The seller dropped the price in half. I decided to take a chance, try to save the mixer and if I failed I would sell the bowls/attachments to get my money back.

Let me just say, stripping a mixer is a big pain in the you know what. But I did it! I painted it with a red enamel spray paint and sold it shortly after. But it was a lot of work. I have painted many mixers but always just prepped and lightly sanded the surface of the factory paint. This went way beyond. Obviously, I was happy with the results but convinced that not everyone should take Pinterest beyond just looking:)

 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, how disappointed you must have been when you saw it in person! But YOU did a great job with the red. I would never have known it wasn't original.I'm curious- when you sell this will you tell them you painted it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! Of course I tell them. I don't sell these online bc I think they should see it and then make the decision to buy or not. Usually if I paint its a unique color and it is very obvious it has been painted. But this was an extreme case as you can see:)))

      Delete
  2. No! You stripped that thing and made it look like a new one? It's gorgeous! I got a new one last year- red - and it looks just like yours! You're an adventurous soul! ;)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words:) I don't normally strip it down when I paint them bc it is not needed. But this one was a strip it or toss it situation. I don't think I would do this again it was hard work!

      Delete
  3. THAT. IS. GORGEOUS! It turned out so great with your time and effort! And, GOOD LORD... House paint!? Some DIYer's make me beat my head against the wall! Not that you would need an industrial mixer in Aunt Polly, but I love your red projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mick! Maybe I will find a mini mixer that can fit in Aunt Polly! Lol

      Delete
  4. Wow that is one bad Pinterest job. But you gave it new life! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete