Thursday, May 21, 2015

It was/is a Sign! A Pyrex sign...

I have collected Pyrex for about 10 years now. I have actively collected advertising for about 15 years. The advertising collection started after I took several advertising and marketing classes in college. I had a professor who was obsessed with branding especially John Deere. We studied all the great brands and I developed an appreciation for the art and creativity that goes into each piece.

Naturally, when I discovered there were advertsing pieces other than print ads available to purchase with my favorite brand Pyrex I was thrilled. Of course, I combined my 2 collecting categories and my new obsession was born. Pyrex advertising store displays and signs from hardware stores, general stores and department stores are my focus.

I recently acquired this piece. The seller found it in a barn and it was super grimy and rusty. But the fact that it exists is quite amazing. It is rare. However, I have seen part of this piece before. The Thrifter Sisters at http://pyrexthriftersisters.blogspot.com had found one and posted it as their very first blog post!

My sign needed some work because of the dirt and rust. I took the entire thing apart and because there was not any paint left on the outside metal I sanded it down to remove the rust. I decided to paint the outside a light hammered blue. I chose the paint color based on the fact that my other general store display from the same era was that same color and texture. I also decided at over 4 feet wide with the side brackets that I would not have room to display it in my tiny kitchen. I decided to only display the Pyrex sign part for now.

It is a great sign and it is right at home sitting above my refrigerator. I am so happy to add it my collection.

 

2 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! What an amazing find. I remember how excited I was when I found mine. I mean, it started the whole blog!

    Have an awesome weekend!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete