Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Reveal: From Rust Bucket to Bombshell

I posted several weeks ago about a double drain board sink and vintage steel cabinet I picked up. I was not sure I could save the cabinet or if I wanted to. It was really bad. Here is a reminder of what it looked like when I picked it up.

So much Dirt...
So much rust...

And so much grime and oil from being stored in a garage/barn. Once I decided to clean up the cabinet. My first thought was to do a quick pressure wash/paint and sell it on craigslist. My goal was to pay for the double drainboard sink I paid for and was keeping. After getting into the project I decided to do a little more and a little more detail. I took the entire cabinet apart. I removed the chrome handles and polished each one. I removed all the drawer fronts and cleaned every nook. The more time I had into this project the more invested I became. I sanded down every square inch of this cabinet. I then pressure washed the entire thing again. Paint was the fun part. I chose to use Rustoleums Heirloom white paint. I also used glossy black paint on the toe kick.

This project kicked my butt. I estimate I have over 40 hours of work into this. After doing the math, I figured if I paid myself $10/hour I would need to charge at least $400 for the cabinet. I think at my booth I would need to charge at least $500 because of commission. I feel right now I have more blood, sweat and tears into than I think I can get out of it. So, what did I do?

I kept it! I made room for it in my kitchen. I think she looks like a bombshell. I reused the countertop on my previous cabinets and added a new coat of stain. I can't say that I would do it again. But, I can say I'm glad the project is over and it tured out the way it did!



 

7 comments:

  1. Looks like it is worth all of your effort! Great find and even greater refurbishing job! Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda. Heading to check out your blog:)

      Delete
  2. Wow. I cannot believe that is the same cabinet! After all of your handwork, it would be super hard to let it go. So glad you decided to keep it!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica. Very hard to let go! Lol but aren't they all!

      Delete
  3. I redid a small metal cabinet once and I'll never do it again! Mine was not nearly as rusty... but I put about 8 hours of work into, plus the $10 cost of purchase, plus the 4 cans of spray paint ($12). And I sold it for $100. I basically lost $2, if I paid myself $10/hr for the work. NEVER AGAIN! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone can relate to my pain. It is hard to explain the amount of work it really is. NEVER again! Lol

      Delete
  4. I have one similar that belonged to my Grandpa. I wasn't sure what to do with it, but now I've been inspired by your great redo. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete